David Love/Scaling Question

Wed, 1 May 2002 10:35:54 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joseph Garrett" <joegarrett@earthlink.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: May 01, 2002 9:41 AM
Subject: David Love/Scaling Question

> As many of you know, I have been extremely critical of Bass String Makers,
> (abbreviated BS Makers). For the most part, BS Makers, especially the long
> established, "big box" types, are still living in the 19th century, with
> their "Scale Sticks" and "Schraffing", (whatever the hell that is). BTW
> there is no word, in the German language of Schraffing, (according to
> several German Dictionaries). Where that came from is beyond me.

I don't know where the word came from either, but it is usually applied to
the practice of scraping or scratching the surface of the core wire before
wrapping the first copper layer. We tested quite a few sets done this way at
Baldwin some years back and could tell no difference in the tonal
performance of the pianos strung with them.

Still, the practice seems to be making a comeback.

Del