Sanderson Scaling/Terry F

Wed, 1 May 2002 10:31:21 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tyler Punky Smith" <macman@pathfinder.dnsalias.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: May 01, 2002 5:53 AM
Subject: Re: Sanderson Scaling/Terry F

> What do all you rescaling experts think about bass scales that start
> with very lightly wound trichords low on the treble bridge, then into
> heavier bichord and monochord unisons? Intuitively, it sounds like a
> good idea to me, if smoothing the break as much as possible is the
> goal.
>
> -Tyler

I see no reason for tri-chord wrapped strings in any scale, regardless of
length. We are stuck with them in the typical 'modern' concert pianos due to
the plate configuration settled on by Steinway in the 1870s (give or take)
but that doesn't mean it's the best way to go.

A better scheme is to go with a few more mono-chords and bi-chords and then
straight to tri-chord steel. (That's the simplistic answer, anyway.)

I am coming to like the transition bridge in the tenor section (on shorter
pianos) more and more, but would still use bi-chords.

Del