Question for Joe G. re scaling

Newton Hunt nhunt@optonline.net
Wed, 01 May 2002 07:31:57 -0400

>  by increasing the string diameters from
> top to bottom.

Hmmm, well, one half size is about five pounds difference in tension, on some
scales.  It differs because there are high and low tension scales.  I would like
to know _why_ those changes were made.

Making changes in the bass scale may well go to a larger core.  I do that
because it has been my observation that larger cores make a nicer sound than
smaller cores.  Core generally control inh. but is not the complete answer.

Often errors are made in bridge layout and stringing in the factory that can be
changed to enhance the tunability and/or the sound.

Changing all the notes up or down is not what I would do, unless there was
compelling reason to do so.

Some of the 19th century pianos really do need a lot of help.  Unfortunately
some of those old pianos were so poorly designed that the help can only be of a
limited nature.

		Newton