ACTION WEIGHTS

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@attbi.com
Wed, 1 May 2002 07:32:59 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Stuart & Aimee Balsillie
Sent: Wednesday, May 01, 2002 5:32 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: ACTION WEIGHTS

To all,

I would be most appreciative if anybody would be able to help  me
understand problems with touch weight in actions.

I was recently talking to a friend who is a piano technician and he was
showing me a Schimmel grand action he just got in for repair ( not sure
what size grand as he only had the action but apparently  the piano is
30 years old,  and has not been touched by anyone)  He said the touch
was very heavy, and when he put weights on it the keys would not budge
under 60 grams although this varied from key to key.I asked if it was
only due to heavy hammers? surely there must be friction problems as
well (as I am sure Schimmel would not regulate their actions to 60 grams
(is this assumption right?)   He said yes there was friction problems an
he proceeded to quickly lubricate the roller on middle C, when he put
the weights on this key it then moved at around 50 grams. I thought
surely this would prove that there were friction problems and not hammer
weight problems, he explained to me that although the weight had dropped
the hammers were too heavy and that it will not play properly. I seem to
have an uneasy feeling about this explanation and would be most grateful
for anyone able to help explain what may be happening in this action.

sincerely,

Stuart Balsillie

Piano Technician

Kyneton

Australia

sabalsillie@bigpond.com

            Stuart,

            Sounds like a guy who  wants to put new hammers on this
thing. . If they are not worn, IMHO he should continue with the
cleaning, polishing, lube routine. Key pins, capstans, knuckles, rep.
levers, jacks, key easing at the bushings and balance rail hole.possible
action centers if too tight. Action regulation, damper timing etc.

            How accurate are the weights?  60 grams isn't that heavy .
Sometimes the jack position under the knuckle will give you excessive
resistance at letoff and make the action feel heavy during pianissimo
play.

            Just my opinion, but I doubt it is a hammer weight issue.

            Tom Driscoll