Family rates at the Convention

Steve Taylor, Convention Director stevetaylor@ptgmarc.org
Sun, 31 Mar 2002 13:08:28 -0500

----- Original Message -----=20

From: Carol R. Beigel=20

To: michaelmccoy@ptgmarc.org=20

Sent: Monday, February 25, 2002 10:38 PM

Subject: family registration for MARC

=20

I would like to bring my young adult daugher to the convention, and she
would like to attend some classes.  She is thinking about becoming a =
piano
technician and join me in the family business.  I am an RPT.  We would =
both
like to attend the Disklavier seminar.  Can she register as a family =
member?
Or do I have to pay a non-guild member technician rate for her?

Carol Beigel

=20

=20

I thought it would be appropriate to begin this with the actual e-mail =
sent to us with the request for Carol's "young adult daughter" to attend =
the Mid-Atlantic Regional Convention, presented by the Pennsylvania =
State Conference, in addition to the special all day Thursday seminar.=20

=20

When I saw the first post in the Pianotech group, my initial reaction =
was to simply let it go. Many posts later and appearing to continue, a =
reply must be made.  I have seen the Mid-Atlantic referred to by Carol =
as "unfair", "appalling" and "outrageous".  I am not concerned about the =
perception of the conference since we are heading towards another sold =
out convention with the anticipated walk-in registration and an outside =
opportunity of reaching over 400 registrations. What disturbs me the =
most is the work of many volunteers spending literally thousands of =
hours to put on a first class event, some actually taking time off from =
their business to make this happen, be associated in the same sentence =
with words like "unfair" and "appalling". Carol, you may have found some =
of those who responded to your rantings as "crude" but I personally find =
your misrepresentations made on this public forum, compared to the =
original e-mail sent to us, as obnoxious and rude.=20

=20

It is with great surprise that I have to find out on this public =
discussion forum that we did not read the original e-mail closely =
enough. Based on your posts on these forums; our registration has =
increased to $1,100 for 2 people ... or was that 3 ... maybe even 4 =
(actual basic member registration is $215 and guest registration is =
$315) and your daughter was only going to attend a couple of business =
classes, to name just two of the numerous inconsistencies. It is most =
irritating to watch the story change to fit whatever argument or agenda =
you are trying to communicate. I apologize that we did not explain the =
all day classes clearly enough because you and your daughter obviously =
mistook the all day Disklavier class as a business class. I must admit =
to being relieved by this error because I could not figure out why =
anyone would want to introduce someone for the first time to piano =
technology by making them sit through an 8 hour class on the inner =
workings of an electronic device that makes a piano play. In addition, =
there are comments that it would cost a family $800 to just visit the =
Exhibit Hall, I am at a loss to even understand why it seems necessary =
to repeat these fabrications. We have an extensive Family program from =
complete guided tours to ala-carte menus so that everyone can be =
involved as their schedule will allow. There is a small fee of $20 a day =
for the Exhibit Hall due to providing a Continental Breakfast, 2 breaks =
with Beverage/Snacks and Lunch each day. These fees were clearly =
published in the mailed brochure and online at www.ptgmarc.org =
registration pages.

=20

What I find immensely unfair is how anyone that has any sense of =
financial aptitude could not see the extremely reasonable value in an =
organization that is providing a venue for 45 top instructors, national =
and international, with 120 Classes in comparison to the registration =
fees. If anything the fees are embarrassingly low in relation to what =
any other "professional" organization would charge for a similar event. =
I digress, because this is another topic in great need of discussion and =
will have to wait for another time, other than to say that in June a =
major topic of discussion is going to be how much to increase the annual =
dues for all members to keep the PTG solvent.

=20

We do not have a policy of reduced admissions for anyone outside of PTG =
members. I am more convinced today it is the correct action than when I =
became involved with the PA State Conference now going on the 4th year. =
I know that being tagged as a non-member is perceived by many as a =
negative, especially sensitive if it is a family member.  We choose to =
go a different path and treat guest technicians with respect and =
dignity, not confusing how one is treated with maintaining high =
standards. We do not charge a non-member more because it is =
"punishment"; the member fees are simply "value" and "reward" of =
membership. It has proven very successful; most of the chapters in our =
area have increased their membership and have a great mixture of young =
and older members.

=20

I do not have the recent Journal available to me at the moment but the =
latest one had an announcement of all the chapters that increased their =
membership this past year, most increasing more than 10%, that will =
receive an award. Out of a total of 161 chapters in the PTG, only a =
small number of chapters were listed in this announcement, yet another =
topic of discussion for another time, other than to note that out of all =
the chapters listed, almost 20% of the ones increasing membership came =
from our area. Especially gratifying because none of those chapters put =
out a "Members Wanted" sign and, in addition, have firm entrance =
requirements and guidelines. Every year we receive numerous requests =
similar to the one from Carol and with each one we have replied with =
thanks for the request, inviting them to join us and the fee is as =
published. Just last month we received a similar request from a =
potential piano tech/member with a PTG member connection with the common =
promise "I might consider joining if" statement and usual request for a =
member rate, discount or free. In response to our follow up to the =
request, we received the following reply which is typical of at least =
several new members each year; ".... if I have to pay that much more =
than I might as well join, already sponsored, besides I'll get my own =
copy of the Journal . Thanks for inviting me . ". Unlike the suggestion =
Carol made that it would be different if it were a Father and Son, this =
is simply not true. My family is paying full fare, and if my father =
would want to attend the convention and institute, even though not a =
piano tech, he would be most welcome and would pay the guest technician =
rate.=20

=20

Forgive my long post, but I have a passion for the issues that affect =
this Conference and the PTG. It has been my goal since associating with =
this Conference to work towards adding "Value" to the PTG and =
"Awareness" of the RPT. These are the most important issues that face =
the national organizations future and stability. Value and Awareness =
must be accomplished in a measurable manner, which in turn will =
translate into a strong, financially sound and formidable organization.  =
It is time for a new vision to be put in place and set into action; no =
longer can we afford complacency and bureaucracy to be the rule of the =
day.