Soundboard crack

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Sun, 31 Mar 2002 12:20:27 EST

Greetings,
> I also am assuming that the movers
>will take no responsibility for the cracks.

Nor should they.  If the movers had stressed the piano heavily enough to
crack the soundboard, the case would probably be in ruins. If they had stored
it in a cold truck, and then brought it into a warm enough environment to
crack the soundboard, the finish would be crazed like, um, well, crazy.
  Soundboard cracks seem to occur as the spruce ages, or is repeatedly cycled
through humid/dry spells.

>My question: is there a quick and simple repair to get this piano back
>in good condition?

    You can usually stop the buzzing noise with glue between the ribs and a
wedge between the plate and board to hold in place until dry.  This is the
quick, simple repair.  Removing plate and shimming in more involved, as is
replacing the board.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT