Case separation or delamination question

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sun, 31 Mar 2002 10:58:31 -0600

>And, eventually we're all dead. Well, most of us.

Rumor is that once contracted, death is extremely hard to shake off and
lasts a very long time.

> Seriously (as opposed to
>death), do you know if any of the manufacturers attempt to control
>production to the point of being able to produce an instrument designed for
>lower humidity?  I've been thinking it would be much easier to work with an
>instrument designed for 20 - 45%, which is the norm for the "working"
>season of most institutions, and deal with the humid season with
>damp-chasers, rather than try to elevate the overall humidity level in a
>large, high ceilinged venue.

It's a matter of design, rather than controlling production. As far as
building soundboards is concerned, that's one of the major benefits of
crowning ribs. The ribs support the crown, instead of the poor over
compressed panel, and the crown doesn't disappear when the RH goes down.

>I meant to say that I was almost certain that the bearing was not positive.
>A poor attempt at humor.

Ah yes, I get it. Some days I'm fast, others I'm only half fast.

>>Ideally, you will want both positive crown and
>>positive overall bearing. Positive bearing on the front of the bridge is
>>fairly
>>critical, less critical on the back, but overall should be positive - but not
>>excessive. Yes, knowing the bearing and it's relationship to crown is
>>important.
>
>I'd like to reserve the option to come back to this one after the upcoming
>round of discussion about measuring downbearing.
>
>David Skolnik

Yep. Meanwhile, read up on Del's Journal articles and do some archive
mining on crown and bearing. There's a bunch in there, but it's hard to
sift out.

Ron N