Soundboard crack

Bill Pillmore billpillmore@earthlink.net
Sun, 31 Mar 2002 11:40:35 -0500

A small Steinway grand that I have tuned before has just made a local
move and I noticed the strings in the center of the bass bridge buzzing.
 On inspection there are two cracks 4" apart; the larger starting at the
plate bolt hole and moving under two ribs to the back of the case.  The
main crack is right under the bridge overhang and has caused some
up-down separation due to the pressure of the bridge.  It is also only
accessible from under the piano.  I also am assuming that the movers
will take no responsibility for the cracks.

My question: is there a quick and simple repair to get this piano back
in good condition?
Bill