Convention Pay OFF

crbrpt@verizon.net crbrpt@verizon.net
Sat, 30 Mar 2002 16:10:33 -0600

I have a simple solution to variable seminar/convention pricing, and it would certainly shut ME up!

There are two different management styles.  One says that people are out to cheat you so you must take control over every little detail.  The other assumes that people are honest, and given the opportunity, will do the right thing .

1) Allow PTG members who don’t want to attend the entire convention to pay a daily rate to attend the classes, say perhaps $100 per day.  This includes admission to the Exhibit Hall.  I don’t particularly care if this option is available to non-PTG members for a higher fee.  It would be very simple to do this at the Registration Desk.  The daily nametag would be a different color, perhaps ugly and not easy to duplicate, and would have the day of attendance clearly written upon it.  The Registration Desk is staffed by paid PTG employees anyway, so there is not the volunteer question.

2)  Allow PTG members registered  to purchase half price registrations to the Institute for their family members or whomever accompanied them to the convention/seminar.  They could purchase either daily or full week registrations for half price.

3)  Allow anyone registered for the daily or entire seminar/convention to obtain FREE passes to the Exhibit Hall for the people who are accompanying them into the hall. They would obtain these from the Registration Desk. This implies supervision.  Also prevents a single or group of only free pass holders to enter the hall.  This way couples and/or families could visit the Exhibit Hall together.  I am totally appalled that someone who flew in for one day to teach a class was not allowed to enter the Exhibit Hall! That should NOT happen - ever!  Of course instructors should be allowed into the Exhibit Hall for free!

 I am certain that the benefits outweigh the cheats.  More people could attend the convention in a meaningful way with their families.  Discount family registrations and daily admissions would income to PTG.  This is certainly a more fair way to introduce our young family members to PTG and could be a great benefit of membership.

I am in total agreement that PTG should look at other ways to increase revenue than just look at dues increase.  The easy way, to uniform policies way, the old ways really need looked at.  We live in a changing world, and it has always been a survival of those who adapted!

Carol Beigel