Downbearing

Sat, 30 Mar 2002 22:10:36 GMT

Hi David

When the strings where on we used one of those metal-
thingys with two leveled 'legs'. One leg on the sounding
part of the string and one on the part of the string that
rested on the bridge. If you can wip it, it tells you that
you got positive downbearing. If it stands firmly on the
string, it tells you that you either have zero or negative
downbearing.

As for asking our instructor, we did. He couldnt come up
with any better theory than we did with the cast iron and
soundboard actually getting compressed between the cast
iron pins and the tuning pins, increasing the positive or
negative crown of the soundboard, altering the downbearing.

I suspect that even though it has alot of negative
downbearing right now, when the strings are off, it would
get back to what it was (positive) before removing the
strings, if we restrung it and tuned it.

> Hello Daniel -
>
> At this point I would ask you how you went about taking
downbearing
> measurements.  The rest of your question seems to reflect
some basic
> confusion which might be best addressed by your
instructors.

Thanks,
Daniel Lindholm / Sweden