Downbearing

Sat, 30 Mar 2002 22:04:11 GMT

Hi!

First of all, thanks for taking the time to answer my post.
I didnt think I would come online before monday, but I
did :)

I was expecting to have to straighten some things out,
since english isnt my mother tounge, so here are some more
questions and some explainations.

>   More information would be helpful in diagnosing your
dilemma
> but I suspect there is an error perhaps in the way you
are measuring bearing.
> How was that done?
We usually use those simple tools sold by all pianotech
companies that you put over the bridge, measuring the angle
of the string right over the bridge. So we could not have
misstaken zero downbearing for positive downbearing. When
the strings where off we used a strong thread through the
agraffes and down over the bridge.

That the downbearing decreases noticable is something we
all have noticed at school. It always happends. Sometimes
little, sometimes alot as in this case. Thats why I wanted
to discuss it.

So, it didnt have zero downbearing anywhere. Thats why we
can exclude the idea of the strings actually lifting the
soundboard upwards when the strings were there.

>  You did not mention crown. Did you check it before and
then after it was
> unstrung  with a string across the bottom of the board.
I've been fooled by
We only measured the crown after the strings were removed.
It had some crown, but it wasnt much (I really dont know
how to define much crown though)

> > Then I formed a second theory about the dissapearing
> > downbearing. Could it be that the strings actually
> > compresses the cast iron and the cast iron compresses
the
> > whole soundboard giving it a part of its crown in that
way?

innerchangeable concepts?
What I meant was that when the strings are in place, with
that incredible tension the whole cast iron was compressed
from the pins to the bottom bolts where its hold firmly
together with the frame all around the pianos rim. This is
just a theory, but perhaps the crown of the soundboard then
increases as the whole piano is clamped together of the
stringtension, giving the soundboard a slightly bigger
crown of the soundboard.

What do you think about that?

I cant find any other solution to why the downbearing
decreases alot when you remove the strings.

strings come off I can
> reuse the board and if not it gets a new one. I honestly
put more stock in
> the way the piano sounds before it's torn down than any
physical
> measurements. For example I've had some amazing sounds
come from boards with
> no crown and minor amounts of bearing so what do I care
what the measurements
> are. I've also had fully crowned 9 ft kawai piano les
than ten years old with
> 10 mm of crown strung and no bearing. I hated the sound.
Both in this case
> were verifiable with measurements.
>  Hope this helps
Yeah, I totally agree. If it sounds good, why bother. :)

Thanks,
Daniel Lindholm