Case separation or delamination question

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sat, 30 Mar 2002 12:28:34 -0600

> I haven't the means to simply flip this 8' sucker over. (Good thing it's only
> 85 notes)  Even if it hadn't just been rebuilt, I would want to know that it
> was likely necessary before I undertook the expense.

Try temporarily clamping the rim back together where the separations are and
see if it improves the tone. If it does, rejoice and FIND a way to flip the
sucker over and do the repair. That's a relatively quick and cheap test that
ought to tell you if the separations are responsible for the killer octave
problems. If the clamps don't help, which I suspect, that's not the problem.

>> Ok, so now you have the rim taken care of. Time to consider the cause of the
>> tonal deficiencies. You have a flat board with a dead treble. You mention
>> the piano was rebuilt. New soundboard? Yes Who made the soundboard? Not
>> relevant, other than to say it was done by experienced rebuilder
>> Original 119 year old Steinway soundboard? Yikes! If that is the case, I
>> would consider focusing on the need for a new soundboard. (This kinda sounds
>> like the situation to me!)  No

Ok, new soundboard, made by X. What was the crowning method, and the amount of
crown originally installed? Being new doesn't necessarily mean it's good. In a
new board, even with a 60' crown radius, there should be some measurable crown
through the killer octave. What sort of bearing angles do you find from octave
4 on up? Is there positive bearing on both front and back of the bridge?

> The question for me was whether there was any reason to suspect that the
> delamination would likely have contributed to the apparent lack of crown in a
> newly installed board.

Conceivable, I suppose, but highly unlikely. Try the clamps first. Getting
lucky is great when it's your turn.

> (:-!) See, I can't seem to get a good smiley (;-(
>
> David Skolnik

Don't worry about smileys... do catfish.

=._.=

Ron N