Overpull

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 19:20:16 -0700

Bradley;

    No, unfortunately, it's not that predictable. In order to know =
exactly how much overpull you need, you would have to take into =
consideration things like the thickness of the soundboard, the thickness =
of the plate, the amount of crown, the rim, and the amount of tension =
from it to the soundboard all the way around it. That's why we have to =
do two passes. You do one and you see how the piano reacts. I've =
wondered about this as I've done more pitch raises than I could ever =
count, and no two pianos really react the same.=20
    Oh, and if you're thinking of doing a re-calculation for every note; =
don't bother, I've tried it and it still didn't come out any better than =
a standard pitch raise.=20
    As the Late, Great, George Defebaugh would say; You really can't do =
a pitch raise and a fine tuning at the same time.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Bradley M. Snook=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2002 6:51 PM
  Subject: Re: Overpull

  >     Yes,  there are ways.  They are called SAT,RCT, VT etc.  (Pitch
  raisins
  > don't mean throwing dried grapes around).

  Actually, I kind of feel that current technology is like throwing the =
dried
  grapes all over the floor. Results that are within 2-3 cents is good, =
I'm
  just wondering if we can do better? I don't completely understand what =
goes
  on in the background of the software that you mentioned, but usually
  overpull is a certain general percentage (like 25%) . . . I am =
wondering if
  it is possible to calculate something that is note specific (like =
23.42%,
  24.01%, then 24.42%). Is drop predictable enough?

  Bradley M. Snook