Overpull

Bradley M. Snook bsnook@pacbell.net
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 18:17:55 -0800

> Please define close. I prefer the term pitch correction because we
> sometimes do have to lower pitch and an over pull is required in the
> direction of the pitch change.

Well, I think it is safe to assume that it is not possible to do a pitch
correction with one pass and expect concert level standards. But for a
normal correction of pitch, nothing too wild, accuracy within in one cent
would be great!

You are right, 'pitch correction' is a much better description of what is
actually happening. I'll try and use that from now on.

> How does a pitch
> correction of 220 cents at A4 with a single pass tuning leaving A4 1.21
> cents sharp sound? Is that close enough?

Sure, that sounds really good. But my experience seems to be that after the
correction as occurred, each note varies to a certain degree. I just wonder
if corrections can be more controlled?

Here is a specific question: is there a difference in overpull when a string
is 10 cents vs. 12 cents flat? And how do the surrounding strings effect the
amount of overpull necessary for that specific string?

This is just a simplified example:
A2  A#2  B2  C3
-10  -13   -9   -12 (from where they should be)

Do the current locations effect the amount of overpull for each note?

Bradley M. Snook