Pleyel Double Grand Piano

Phillip L Ford fordpiano@lycos.com
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 18:05:24 0000

Since there was some interest in this piano on the list I went looking for a CD
that I thought I had and finally found it.  It is a recording made on one of these
Pleyel double grands.  On the cover there is an overhead picture of the piano
along with the two pianists.  There is a brief description of the piano in the liner
notes.  The piano now belongs to the pianists on the recording; Egri & Pertis.
The booklet also lists some other recordings made by this team on this piano.
I was able to locate two of them on Amazon so it seems that they are still
available.  The two I found were

Duettino.          Hungaraton HCD 31928.
Pleyel and His Contemporaries.           Hungaraton HCD 31930.

Duettino is a recording of music of Saint-Saens.  The other is a recording of
music by Pleyel himself and contemporaries such as Rossini, Chopin, Liszt,
Moscheles, etc.  The booklet also lists another recording called:

Chopiniana.       Hungaraton  HCD 31917.

But I was not able to locate that one on Amazon so perhaps it is not available.
By the way, if you look for these on Amazon you will need to search by the
album title.  The names of the artists don't appear in any of Amazon's descriptive
info for some reason.

In addition, for those that are interested, there is an american patent for this piano.
Patent 642467 granted to G Lyon on Jan. 30, 1900.  It gives diagrams and a
description.  There is also a much earlier patent for something very similar.
Patent 7568 granted to J Pirsson on Aug. 13, 1850.

Phil F

---
Phillip Ford
Piano Service & Restoration
1777 Yosemite Ave - 215
San Francisco, CA  94124

See Dave Matthews Band live or win a signed guitar
http://r.lycos.com/r/bmgfly_mail_dmb/http://win.ipromotions.com/lycos_020201/splash.asp