Historic tuning modes

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 07:09:00 -0500

I have some of the same questions. "Why would I want to tune a piano in X temperament as opposed to Z temperament. That's why I'll be at the following class in Chicago this summer:

(E) Choosing a Temperament

David Lamoreaux, RPT, Washington, DC Chapter

Many varieties of non-equal temperaments are available: some old, some new. This class will provide basic principles to guide in the process of deciding what style to use with examples. Avoid potentially embarrassing situations!

BTW, who is David Lamoreaux? Doesn't he come from a family of French felt makers? Anyone aware of his background with non-equal temperaments?

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jason Kanter" <jkanter@rollingball.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2002 12:09 AM
Subject: Re: Historic tuning modes

Newton said:
> Maybe the final version should have a "significant" category to help
> determine it's historical significant.  Obviously 200 HTs would have
> quite a few that were less significant than others in terms of who, when
> and where they were used.

I'd greatly welcome any educated opinions about which are significant. Also,
there is a good bit of overlap (e.g. 2 versions of Werckmeister III. One of
them is 7.8 cents lower than the other, but the offset pattern is
identical... see the numbers immediately below. I could discard the one that
has A at -7.8 cents...)

C +3.9    +11.7
C# -5.9    +2.0
D -3.9    +3.9