tuning with Dampp-Chaser

Charles Neuman piano@charlesneuman.net
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 11:52:26 -0600

From: Don <pianotuna@accesscomm.ca>
> If you use a good back cover the pitch of the piano will vary less than 2
> cents per year, unless there is a "set back" thermostat in the home. I find
> these are murder on pianos, even ones equipped with a damppchaser.

What would you consider to be a large temperature variation? We manually set back our thermostat at night. The temperature can change by around 12 deg F every day. That seems like a lot.

Also, when the relative humidity in the room drops rapidly to about 25%, has anybody noticed how long it might take the D-C to catch up? I find that it takes a while to catch up when it's this low. In fact, I'm not sure it CAN bring the relative humidity from 25% to 42% if the room stays so dry. I don't have enough data yet. When the room is around 35%, it does fine with the humidifier staying on all the time.

Charles