Muting high treble

Patrick C Poulson pcpoulso@pacbell.net
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 09:55:12 -0800

Terry: Are you saying that putting in a felt strip mute could produce enough
tension to cause the whole piano to go flat?  It seems very unlikely to me.
I would suspect a temperature change affecting the strings, or an attempt to
bring the piano up to pitch from more than 4-5 cents flat.  I strip mute all
the time, and haven't noticed such a phenomenon as you describe.
Patrick Poulson, RPT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: 3/22/2002 4:36 AM
Subject: Re: Muting high treble

> I always tune with individual rubber and felt mutes. I don't strip-mute.
While practicing tuning on my Boston grand with my new Verituner yesterday,
I tuned it with one pass my normal route with two mutes to get it right at
pitch. Then I strip-muted it to do some experimenting with my new tuner -
wanted to do some interval tests, etc. without having a bad unison goof me
up. When I started my strip-muted pass, the whole darn piano was two to
three cents flat. Do any of you strip-muters find that adding that little
bit of extra tension to two-thirds of the strings on the piano affects pitch
in a like manner?