Sohmer

Owen J. Greyling RPT greyco@kingston.net
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 11:09:10 -0500

Hi David, and gang,

Thanks for the different suggestions as to how to measure the crown.  =
I've not measured crown on the top of the board before, as you never =
know what has been the practice, regarding thinning of the board, of the =
original factory.  On this piano, with the maple stiffener on the bottom =
of the long bridge, my usual fishing line could not be used. So, I =
clamped a straight edge, across the bottom of the piano, and measured up =
to the board at the rim or cut off, and also on both sides of the long =
bridge.  Move the straight edge a foot down the piano, and measure =
again.  Yes, I think the board has crown, on both sides of the bridge, =
(I raised the pitch to A430), from the belly bar back until almost the =
top of the base bridge.  At that point, the crown remains 1/16"positive =
on the bent side, but drops to less then 1/16'negative on the straight =
(base bridge) side.

There is no measurable positive downbearing on the base bridge, and the =
base section wishes it could sound as good as a washtub, mop handle =
configuration...it doesn't. The low tenor suffers from duck quacking or =
puppy barking syndrome, I'm not sure which. The middle treble up to 88 =
is another story. Somewhat thin, but has respectable sustain, and lots =
of false beats. How you measure downbearing on that long bridge would be =
a pearl of wisdom...?
I really want to fix this instrument properly, (have to convince the =
client), so I really welcome all comments and suggestions.  After =
reading Del's comment's about the tension on these pianos, I've ordered =
Tremaine Parson's Pscale program, and dug out Jim Hayes chapter in John =
Travis' book.  I'll have to find the journal articles, that I never =
bothered to read on string behaviour and scale design. I have always =
thought that it was a little presumptuous, for myself, to attempt to =
redesign, rather then rebuild pianos.  I refer to what I have been doing =
as conservative rebuilding, because my goal has been to put each piano =
back the way it was, when it was new.  Anyway, seems it's time for a =
more progressive approach.  I'm leaning towards a new board with a =
conventional cap. If this is a mistake, please don't wait to tell =
me.....

By the way, I think this piano would qualify as an art case, some artist =
went and painted it white, I could send along a picture if there is =
interest...sorry about the long post. Better get to work....   Thanks in =
advance for your advice, and suggestions.
Owen.

---- Original Message -----=20