Sohmer

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 22:31:49 EST

In a message dated 3/21/2002 6:29:48 PM Pacific Standard Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> Subj:Re: Sohmer
> Date:3/21/2002 6:29:48 PM Pacific Standard Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com">mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:pianotech@ptg.org">pianotech@ptg.org</A>
> Sent from the Internet

   Your point well taken but with the steinway did you have the strings off??
I suspect it  probably would have come back to at least (or mostly )flat. The
sohmer didn't budge and it was so uniform. I;ll add that it did have modest
positive crown.
      Also we know that steinways  at least have the intention of a positive
crown. And it would seem so with most of the sohmers reported on so far as
well.  I'm  guessing this was a factory experiment or a short lived run.
       The condition you saw in the Steinway ( happens infrequently) I
believe is caused by uncontrolled R.H. at the time of  pressing on the ribs.
Too wet at glue up, Installed in the case too swollen,  too wet when bearing
was set. and bearing set too heavy. Coupled with extreme panel shrinkage
later , poof instant salad bowl. Same thing could the case with the Sohmer in
question but I have doubts.
 I once rebuilt a stwy A -2 that had a trough where the bridge was, a flat
board,still positive and evenly set risidual bearing and the darn thing
sounded amazingly good. This was partly because of the support of a fairly
thick soundboard to start with.