Unglued Hammerheads (Clamping)

Kdivad@AOL.COM Kdivad@AOL.COM
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 17:25:27 EST

In a message dated Wed, 20 Mar 2002  4:37:30 PM Eastern Standard Time, Richard Brekne <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no> writes:

> Not wanting to get into a lot of this and that... lets just say I dont share your views on this subject matter. I will comment on the "exception" case I pointed out... I gotta wonder about the concerns you air here when you are first not so concerned about the resulting yeild from reglueing vs the cost of such a job. But so be it.

Ah but Richard my first concern is the customers concerns and in these situations that is cost versus yield.  My point is that even with a set of used hammers the difference in cost is major to someone who can not afford it and that is not even considering the value of putting a used set of hammers at 5 or 6 times the cost of reglueing 30 or 40.  After all we are talking about a "$500.00" piano how much yield can there possibly be in most cases.  I can't justify the cost.  These are temporary pianos used hopefully as a stepping stone.

> As for my sense of charity... Its really easy enough to see who can really afford a decent instrument or repair work and who can not. Its also generally easy to see if there is someone who dearly wants to learn and needs a helping hand. In such cases I make sure and put a piano in decent enough working shape so those little fingers and ears dont get unneccessarilly discouraged in being forced to deal with a less then even barely adequate instrument. And when I do charity work... I do it quite within the range of what such families can deal with... both monetary and
> pridewise.

I must have misunderstood your first posts because my impression was that you did not do this type of work, not only that but I thought your impression was that the only reason these jobs get done is because there is some guy or gal willing to do this $49.95 job and what kind of education is that. The people I have been talking about are the people who dearly want to learn I made that clear from the start.  By the way I do not consider this charity work nor the people charity cases, I get paid fair for the time I spend and these people pay for the best job they can afford considering the quality of the piano.
I do charity work but that is another story.

> I dont agree with you about whats in the best interest of the customer on this point... thats all... no big deal... that doesnt make either of us someone from planet Xenon or whatever.

I believe what best for the customer if given the information is what the customer decides.

Oh and just what the heck is wrong with Xenon? :)

David Koelzer
DFW