Isaac/Metal Clamps

Isaac OLEG SIMANOT oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 23:21:15 +0100

Hello,

I finally find them, it is on the page 146 of the German Renner catalogue,
with a nice pic of the clamp on a hammer too. ref 1578
"Hammerkopfbefilzklaemmer" (yes)

I may admit I was the first surprised when I see that pic, because I've
never glue back a hammer, and I never see someone doing it too, but I used
to see these clamps in the workshops, used as instant clamps for many uses ,
slightly unglued ivories, pressure wanted somewhere.
Very useful indeed.

They open 1 inch approx. , if you put your finger in it you can stand the
pressure, it is too strong.

Beside, I too believe too much PSO are yet deserving the desire of Childs to
play piano because the tech that roughly fix them is not himself allowing
more respect for these instruments than the customer that have them. The
comment "but it is not for a professional pianist, you know..." I've heard
too much.

I sometime buy cheap pianos I keep in the shop for people that can afford
more. They are sold for what they real value is and they don't take much
place. For example I have a little vertical Rameau that a school gave me
because it was eaten by moths, it have now new hammers and will be exchanged
with an old Steinway vertical that is out of use actually. It is then a win
win situation for me and my customer, done the same with an old Petrof .
I am talking of pianos there, not birdcages, wood frames or .....

Just to show how much of a wonderful guy I am ;)

Just for fun, here is a low tech fix :
Sature the base of the felt with lacquer, or even glue, then put pressure on
it with the spring clamp, voila, you have a new hammer with full built-in
tension (sure someone will do that !)

P.S. Don't forget to shim the sides with a razor blade, if not white enough,
use chalk, for the tuning pins you can spray gold paint directly it is
always very nice looking

Don't give my name , Regards.

Isaac OLEG