Jack Wyatt - G Scale M&H

Sat, 16 Mar 2002 08:39:51 -0800

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Delwin D Fandrich=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: March 15, 2002 9:49 PM
  Subject: Re: Jack Wyatt - G Scale M&H

    ----- Original Message -----=20
    From: JWyatt1492@AOL.COM=20
    To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
    Sent: March 14, 2002 11:34 AM

    To make a comparison I would say
    that if one was restored well you would
    have to PAY  $15.000 to $18.000
    for a new upright to just get close=20
    to it in performance  and let's not  even=20
    mention durability. This is not even close=20
    to being one of the shiny disposable
    pianos. Good luck and let us all know how
    it turns out after rebuilding.=20
  It puzzles me why there doesn't seem to be much of a market for these =
instruments. Companies like M&H built them to the same standards as =
their grands. I disagree with one point, though, Jack. What do you think =
could be purchased (of those verticals being built today) for $15,000 to =
$18,000 that has any chance of comparing favorably with one of these =
pianos? I've only encountered a couple of these things over the years, =
but none of the current Japanese or European verticals--regardless of =
price--is even close to this league.
Actually, I should not have said I 'disagreed' with Jack. It's more that =
I don't think he went far enough. As I said, regardless of price, none =
of the new vertical pianos on the market today are in the same league as =
some of these old uprights. And not just M&H G-scale uprights. Many =
great old instruments fit into this group.

Certainly not structurally. Select Hardwood backposts are not the same =
as maple or oak. Or even well-seasoned spruce for that matter. MDF core =
stock, now considered an economic necessity, is not the same as a =
properly made lumber-core ply panel. If only there were some advances in =
scaling or soundboard design the new pianos could point to as a superior =
feature--but, alas, there are none.=20

About the only thing that can be said in favor of the new verticals is =
that they are smaller and--if only it weren't for the added weight of =
the MDF--they would be easier to move.=20

Regards,

Del