chickering

JWyatt1492@AOL.COM JWyatt1492@AOL.COM
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 11:40:23 EST

Hello to All,

    Its great to see this interest in old pianos.
Chickering had a full plate in Squares in 1837.
In 1840 he built a grand (winged piano) with a
full plate. He got around to getting a patent
in 1843.  By the way this plate was mortised
into the case.
  Aeolian bought Chickering in 1909.
At that time the most popular Chickening
grands were the 77, 109, 110, 116, and 105.
Not real good pianos, but for then they were
the best.
    Then the 123 and 133 came along  and they
both were very inconsistent. Neither offered assurance
of success when you rebuilt one.
    Aeolian then came out with the 135, the 145
and the 123-A.  These were great pianos. The
145 is one of the four best 5ft 8in grands in the world.
The 135 was a good 5ft 3in. and the 123- A  a great
6ft.3in.
   Bottom line is that Aeolian improved these pianos.
This is contrary to the  popular perception about
Aeolian.  The facts seem to always be dull, the rumors
are always better and it seems also that we accept
something bad quicker that something
good.
  I had the good fortune to rebuild a "145", a Conover "77"
and a Mason&Hamlin "A-6" in a row.  I hope all of you
have this good fortune one day.

Regards to All,
Jack Wyatt