Sohmer

Fri, 15 Mar 2002 21:25:17 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Servinsky" <tompiano@gate.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: March 05, 2002 6:08 PM
Subject: Re: Sohmer

> Del,
> So what's your take on why the agraffes  on the bridge both started and
> ceased so abruptly?

What do you mean?

Why they started using the system and then stopped? Who knows? Marketing
forces which have nothing to do with performance, probably. Performance
issues which had nothing to do with the agraffe bridge, perhaps.

If you mean why they weren't used in the bass--less need for them, I
suppose. Besides they would require extra machining--a slot must be milled
in the sides to allow the wire to be slipped in rather than threaded through
the hole. The windings, you know.

> I, too, have been enamored with the sustain of these instruments. However
> remember somewhere hearing that these instruments also had a tendency for
> the bridges to pull away from the soundboard.  Any truth to those tales?

As I mentioned in another post (which brought me back to the subject), the
Sohmer was one of the few that seems to have held up well over the years in
spite of their insane scaling tensions. I've not seen or worked on all that
many, but of those I've encountered they have all been in good shape.

Del