Sohmer

Fri, 15 Mar 2002 21:19:54 -0800

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Owen J. Greyling RPT=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: March 05, 2002 6:08 PM
  Subject: Re: Sohmer=20

  Del, Dale, Jim, Robert, Wim and everyone else...

  When the piano arives, the very first thing I am going to do is =
measure the down bearing and see if  I can determine just what direction =
the board is crowned.  I spoke to the owner of the piano again today, I =
asked him if he found the serial number...Oh yes, says he, it's easy to =
remember to..... A435.( Del.. What was that you said about extremely =
high scale tensions...highest I've ever measured?.)  Would you want to =
lower the tension so the piano could comfortably be raised to 440? I =
think I'm in about as deep as I can stand for one day.
  By the way.. you guys are truly a great resource. Thanks for your =
interest and support. I will keep all posted on this one.
  Thankyou, Owen.

I'd want to at least check it to see what was there originally. The 8' =
4" Sohmer totalled 62,766 lbs (28,500 kgf), a 6' 3" totalled just under =
50,000 lbs (22,700 kgf), and a 5' something with a broken plate also =
came in at just under 50,000 lbs. (I didn't see this last piano, I just =
did the scale work for another rebuilder.)=20

I would want to rescale any Sohmer I was working on just for my own =
self-preservation--not to mention their own. Unfortunately, to do this =
properly requires relocating the bridges.=20

Del