Sohmer

Fri, 15 Mar 2002 21:32:11 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: <JWyatt1492@AOL.COM>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: March 06, 2002 8:28 AM
Subject: Sohmer

> Hello to All,
>
>     After rebuilding many  Sohmers I have found
> no pattern faults with the agraffe bridge system.
> In fact they give less problems than the standard
> system. I have also found that this system is easy
> to work with and is very forgiving.

This has been my experience as well. If it just wasn't for their scaling.
Or, perhaps, the agraffe bridge was the only thing that would hold up. The
average string tension from C-28 through B39 (on the 8' 4" grand) is 316 lbs
(143.5 kgf). That's a lot of string tension.

>      Most of these will be found in the Cupid and
>  scale" 9" models.  The fault patterns with these
> pianos is the top lids are prone to crack especially on
> the  scale "9" and on the Cupid the plate is prone to
> crack on the strut right at  # 88 hammer behind the
> capo-bar.  For years I had these repaired.  Then I
> discovered that the crack did not hurt anything, tune
> it to 440 and go.

A casting cooling problem, I think.

Del