Bass hammer checking

David Skolnik skolnik@attglobal.net
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 23:58:43 -0500

Phil-

Hammer checking and springs are especially subject to change going from
"lap to gap", due to the flex in the keyframe.  Actually, the other
regulating steps would also be affected except these are the two most
lap-friendly steps.  I think Ron Koval was  correct in suggesting that it
is probably discrepancy.   In other responses, Kevin Ramsey suggested
finding a balance point to do the regulation on your lap, but I think this
is unreliable.  Joe Garret's point re: frame bedding  is good, especially
since it's easy to be careless about the bass bolt (if there is one). Roger
Jolly made all the points I was about to in my response.  I would only add
that a short tail will make it impossible to achieve the regulation spec he
mentions (shank center line), and that the actual tail profile is dependent
upon the shape of the back check.  "Grooving" the tail sometimes doesn't
work as well as removing any glazing that has built up on the wood., and if
you are describing having to "roughen" the backcheck leather, there may be
no nap left, indicating the need for new leather.

Regarding the "phantom checking",  you said you weakened the springs.  If
the dip is deep enough to jam the jacks, It could be that the friction of
the back (or is it front) of the jack against the rep lever felt block (#38
on Steinway diagram), especially with weakened springs.

I know you'll figure it out soon.

David Skolnik