Bass hammer checking

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 01:04:40 -0600

 Roger
>Jolly made all the points I was about to in my response.  I would only add
>that a short tail will make it impossible to achieve the regulation spec he
>mentions (shank center line), and that the actual tail profile is dependent
>upon the shape of the back check.

Hi David,
                 I have not encountered short tails on Baldwin artist series
grands, and the checks usually have a generous bulge.   I routinely arc the
tails on new grands, to attain high and solid checking in the bass.
If the geometry is healthy, you can set the rep spring quite strong for
improved repitition, and still get good ppp checking.
The angle of rake is also important, to fit with the 2 1/2'' tail radius. It
will work fine if the tail length is 3/4'' or more from bore centre.

Regards Roger