Chicago Convention

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 12:13:53 EST

In a message dated 3/14/02 10:41:55 AM Central Standard Time, A440A@AOL.COM
writes:

> Side  by side comparisons with ET have
> never failed to waken significant percentages of listeners to the added
> resources of the WT's, and in my experience of the last 9 years, this
> applies

I'll bet anything that nothing of the kind is planned for the PTG Annual
Convention in Chicago.  Despite claims to the contrary, the Institute
Committee historically has resisted HT presentations as much as it could get
away with doing.  "There's no room", "not enough interest", "too much
stress"...etc.

Now, they can provide for full day or multiple day presentations on
rebuilding but what percentage of piano technicians are involved with or even
interested in rebuilding vs. the percentage interested in tuning advancement?

When has the *ever* been a recital featuring HT's besides the one in Dearborn
with Owen Jorgensen?  For that one, I had to call and complain that *no
action whatsoever* had been taken on organizing the event.  Nothing in the
schedule, no advance write ups, no nothing.  I recall that the person I had
to deal with on this matter was the very same as the one whom I had a great
deal of trouble with later, trouble to the point of me being in jeopardy of
being *kicked out* of PTG.  The room was packed with a standing room only
crowd as HT related events usually are.  This, with only word of mouth and
passing out flyer advertising.

The Current Director has given lip service to wanting to be responsive to
what the membership wants and needs but I haven't heard anything at all about
what may be in the works regarding this topic.  What ever happened to Skip
Becker's hugely successful, standing room only, Festival of Temperaments?
They tried as hard as they could to make sure that as few people as possible
would attend by putting it on the last day of classes when many people had
already left. The Institute Committee refused to continue anything like it.
To even get my tuning done, I had to endure repeated harassment from Wally
Brooks who is well known for his hatred of the very idea of what he calls,
"Hysterical Temperaments" and "tuning the piano out of tune".

Any complaint about this brings the usual, "I tune HT's myself", "we've had
that before", "we have 4 classes on this subject" (but 5 on player pianos)
[the kind with the paper rolls], "we're all volunteers, you wouldn't believe
the amount of work we do, blah, blah blah..."

So, Institute Committee, what really is in the works?  I keep getting mail
asking *me* why these things are not on the agenda.  Haven't you gotten any
lately?

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin