Dunce of the Year

David M. Porritt dm.porritt@verizon.net
Sun, 10 Mar 2002 09:04:43 -0600

Avery:

I'm sure it would be a very short and unpopular thread to tell the
dumbest things we have ever done.  If only there was a way to post
anonymously!  Like you, a 29 year vet of this business, it's so
embarrassing when you are repinning hammer shanks to put a flange on
the rail and see the knuckle looking up instead of down!  Yep, I've
done it!  Sometimes the brain just takes a vacation!

dave

On 3/10/02 at 6:26 AM Avery Todd wrote:

>List,
>
>Well, I'm admitting it! I made a really stupid mistake
>today. I'm only telling this to remind others of the
>possibility.
>
>As you all know, most pianos have the felt lined cutouts
>for the pedals on the front side. Well, that's what I
>was thinking (without thinking, of course). The problem
>was that Steinways don't because of being able to remove
>the pedals from the front with the plate.
>
>Today, I found an 'L' where the bottom box had come loose
>and was sitting almost on the floor. I took it to the shop
>to reglue it. My problem was that because of the felt thing
>mentioned above, I glued it in backwards!!!!!! :-(
>
>Thankfully, when I went back to put everything together and
>reinstall the lyre, only about 1-1/2 hours had passed, but
>with heat and some wedging and prying, I was able to get it
>separated and reglued correctly with very minimal damage!
>(Thanks Danny Moore for the heat idea!) At first, all I
>could think of was having to drill it out and replace the
>dowel and wedge, etc.
>
>The second time I did a dry fit first just to make SURE!!!!
>
>I've only been working on pianos for almost 30 yrs. :-)
>DUH!!!!
>
>Just a warning that's hopefully, able to help someone
>else!
>
>Avery
>
>P.S. Les, that's why I didn't make it to the meeting today
>with LaRoy! I really wanted to and intended to!

David M. Porritt
dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Meadows School of the Arts
Southern Methodist University