Twist and Shout - Follow up ?

Dave Nereson dnereson@dimensional.com
Sat, 9 Mar 2002 04:19:43 -0700

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: David Skolnik=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, March 08, 2002 11:28 PM
  Subject: Twist and Shout - Follow up ?

  Hi Zen-
  So what did you do?

  David Skolnik

  At 12:34 PM 02/13/2002 -0500, you wrote:

    Hear the notes change pitch while the tuning pins twist!
    =20
    Hear the technician shout endless streams of obscenities!
    =20
    (And it's all happening at a church near you!)
    =20
    Hi Everyone --
    =20
    Yesterday was one of those days.  I was called in by a church to try =
to tune a piano that was notorious for not staying in tune.  What I =
found was all of the tuning pins standing so high in the pinblock that =
the bottoms of the coils were 10mm from the surface of the plate.  You =
read right -- 10mm, or 3/10 of an inch.  (Yes, I shot pictures of this, =
but I still have to get the film developed.  No, I didn't swear out =
loud, but it wouldn't surprise me if others before me had.)
    =20
    Pin torque was all over the map.  Some pins turned smoothly and =
didn't pose serious problems in being set.  Others were murderously =
tight.  Only one was bordering on loose.  What I'm wondering is, will =
pounding these pins to a proper height help bring about some sort of =
uniformity of torque or will it make the tight ones tighter still?
    =20
    Concerning the tight pins -- does anyone know of any cute tricks for =
slightly easing that tightness?  I'm going to work on getting =
authorization to do the pin-pounding job, and I'd like to be able to =
leave some semblence of consistency of pin torque when I'm done.
    =20
    Any insights would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.
    Z! Reinhardt  RPT
    Ann Arbor  MI
    diskladame@provide.net

        I'd bet that driving them in would make them tighter still.  The =
loose one you can of course replace with larger.  If the murderously =
tight ones are just a few, I suppose you could take them out, ream the =
hole, and put them back in.  But if it's a lot of 'em, -- I'm not sure =
what I'd do, short of removing them all, reaming and re-pinning.  Any =
type of lube might make them too loose or ruin the pinblock, but I guess =
you could experiment with one pin.
        I'm sure everyone has run into "frozen" regulating screws that =
break off.  I asked how to remedy this once, and someone suggested =
heating them, which I tried, first with a soldering iron, then a small =
torch -- didn't have much, if any effect.  I had to just replace all the =
ones that broke.  But has anyone tried to heat a tight tuning pin to =
make it expand, hopefully enlarging the hole?  Are tuning pins tempered? =
  (I realize I brought up more questions than answers).   --David =
Nereson, RPT, Denver