Retailers - is there a remedy?

Tony Caught tonycaught@bigpond.com
Sat, 9 Mar 2002 20:38:24 +0930

Hi Mark,

Have come accross this problem before. You can't do anything about =
different marketing policies for different stores but you can fix the =
piano so that the customer is happy.
Check the piano out yourself, it may have a fault that is covered by =
warranty.
Is the stores tuner a tech or just a tuner ?
Young Chang (though not my favorite piano) can be a very nice piano if =
worked on by a good tech.
Once again, how good is the tech ? If he could not fix the problem in =
three visits then maybe you should advise the store that their tech does =
not know what he is doing and this is causing problems with their =
policies.
The stare may thank you and give the job to you to solve.

Regards

Tony Caught

----- Original Message -----=20
  From: bases-loaded@juno.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, March 09, 2002 8:05 PM
  Subject: Retailers - is there a remedy?

  Greetings -

  My question is this:  Is nine days of discontented ownership of a =
brand new piano, with 3 service calls that have not remedied the =
problems, sufficient criteria to get one's money back?  Details =
follow....=20

  A piano teacher I have serviced the last few years has needed a better =
piano for years, but was unable to afford one.

  Parents to the rescue... they surprised her by going to one of the big =
retail establishments here and picking one out for her (uh-oh).  They =
picked a 5'2" maraschino cherry red Young Chang that has now been in the =
teacher's home for 9 days and she HATES it.  She has had the store's =
technician out 3 times on rather significant action problems that don't =
seem to get remedied.  (I have not seen the piano).

  She has expressed her dissatisfaction with the store and would like to =
return it and get the $10K back and pick out her own piano anywhere she =
pleases, but the store tells her once it leaves the store the only =
option open to her is to trade it into them on an upgrade.  Since she =
has no money to add, and doesn't like any of the instruments there in =
that price range, she feels doomed to accept the instrument she now has.

  Any input on this dilemma in regards to standard industry retail =
practices would be appreciated.

  Mark Potter
  bases-loaded@juno.com