ET...go home

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Thu, 7 Mar 2002 20:24:16 EST

Hazen asks:
> If you  heard  these temperments on tv,or at a concert,would you be able to
say,that is
>a so so, or a different temperment?

    Once a listener becomes attuned to the changes, they do alter the
intensity of the music.  It is a more profound thing for the pianist sitting
at the piano than anywhere else.

>Is there no way I can tune one of these on my
>sat  II ?

Sure.  Take a temperament chart of the offsets and go through an existing
program for a piano that you will be trying this on.  Add or subtract the
cents to each note and change the memory for each note.  OR you can just
alter a temperament section and then tune aurally, OR,  you can add the
correction figure for one note and tune all 7 of those, then zero the
machine, add or subtract the next notes correction and tune all 7 of them,
etc.  The last is the easiest, I think.

>I would like to hear one,and also try one out at ,maybe the university
> where I tune,or on one of my higher end clients.

You should do this experimenting on your own piano, or a practise room piano
first. THEN take it out and let you customers hear it.  I think it is a
mistake to use your customers as a training ground.  That may backfire.

> What is the mildest one to try at first ?

I begin them with either a Coleman 11 or a Broadwood's "Best" tuning.  The
Moore & Co. is also a very small change that yields big results.
Good luck, and don't go near the performance stage with this until you have
the full faith of your performers!
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT