Greetings and a question

Robert Goodale rrg@unlv.edu
Thu, 07 Mar 2002 16:36:08 -0800

Greg Casper wrote:

>  I have a friend who has a 1910 Pease baby grand, 5'2". She
>says she heard a "popping" sound one day, and since then her piano is
>untuneable. She had a tuner in (don't know if it was a tech or RPT or not),
>and he told her it would cost her several thousand dollars JUST TO DIAGNOSE
>THE PROBLEM! So, she's giving me the piano to get it out of her home. I
>checked the plate and soundboard and can find no sign of cracking or any
>defect.

Yup, sounds like a plate crack to me.  Be aware that it doesn't have to
be a big obvious one, it could be a tiny nearly invisible one in an
unlikely place, (although typically they occur in a strut).  Get in
there with a flashlight and really dig for it.  Pull the action out and
check below including the plate horn.  Se if the wedge came out (if it
had one).  Check all the nose bolts.  One could have snapped.  Look at
the pin block and see if it has come loose anywhere.  Not just a crack
in the block, but possibly a snapped wood dowel or separation from the
stretcher if it was originally glued.  Look below the piano and see if
all the joints of the beams are intact and make sure there are no rim
separations.  See that the bridges are securely fastened to the board.
Look for a bridge cap separation, it is possible that a section could
have popped off.  You never mentioned any brand.  If it is a Steinway
with the plate bell thingy underneath the treble end check that.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV