ET... go home

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Wed, 06 Mar 2002 18:20:56

I just re-checked the numbers in the Verituner, and the 'Representative
Victorian' does match the numbers for the Thomas Moore temperament of 1885.
Sometimes it takes some digging to get the numbers out of the differing
tuners.

While we're on the subject, the 'magic' cutoff for a stealth temperament
(not noticable as having too much dissonence, but noticable as sounding
good) seems to be one that has a maximum major third of under 20 cents from
pure.  Usually, that will be the F# -A#, so even if you don't want to graph
the whole thing, just add to 13.7 the amount the interval will be expanded
using the offsets.  Both the Vallotti and the Young cross that line and are
better saved for more 'trained' ears.

The Wendall lite posted by Paul Bailey looks to range from 8 - 18 cents from
pure in a very symetrical bell curve shape.  I'll try tuning it in the next
few days and report back. (He also has a very nice well tempered tuning of
his own that just crosses over the 20 cent line, with lots of equal beating
intervals)

Best bet?  Don't start out too strong, and people will like what you do.
Once their ears are trained to accepth some difference, the temperaments can
get stronger.

Ron Koval