Opening a can of worms again

Vanderhoofven dkvander@joplin.com
Wed, 06 Mar 2002 12:37:13 -0600

Greetings,

I have recently taken the plunge into tuning Well Temperaments.  I am now
using Bill Bremmer's EBV temperament as my default tuning style (when I am
not tuning ET).  But I would like to gradually wean my customers away from
this towards something stronger.  Assuming that the EBV is a mild tuning
and there are a lot of other tunings that offer more contrast, what steps
would I take to get from here to there?  Which temperaments would be
recommended as intermediate steps between one end of the spectrum and the
other?

I personally like Bill Bremmer's 1/7 comma modified mean tone temperament,
but have lost instructions for how to tune this again.  Can anyone provide
offset numbers for this?

Suppose that I tune EBV this time, and next time I want to tune a little
more aggressively.  Which temperament is next in line?   And then which
temperament comes after that one, and so forth?  I heard a piano tuned by
Ed Foote in the Coleman 11 tuning which I thought was really good.  Where
would the Coleman 11 fit in?

Sorry for opening the can of worms again.  I don't have a copy of Owen'
Jorgensen's books to read, or that might answer my questions.

Also,  Can anyone comment on which temperament of tuning is the most solid
and stable?  I would like my tunings to last the longest time possible.  Is
ET best for tuning stability?  Or is there another temperament which is
best for tuning stability?

Thanks!

David A. Vanderhoofven
Joplin, MO