Clean piano

philromano@attglobal.net philromano@attglobal.net
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 19:48:00 -0500

Joe,

I would point out that piano techs have historically been known for =
being "tool geeks". We like to make our own tools. I find it =
therapeutic. It helps me hone my wood and metal working skills. It makes =
me exercise my mind. Even if I steal an idea from someone else (we've =
all learned everything we know from somewhere else, haven't we?) I might =
add a little twist of my own. In addition, actuallly using a tool I have =
made somehow makes me a little more  proud of my self reliance. =
Ordinarily I find myself modifying most of the tools that I order from =
the suppliers. Should I cease that practice because it is not cost =
effective? By your $/hr formula I guess that I shouldn't waste my time =
sweeping my shop floor either. The problem is, if I don't no one else =
will!

Have a nice weekend.

Phil Romano=20
Myrtle Beach, SC=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Joe And Penny Goss=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2002 10:50 PM
  Subject: Re: Clean piano

  Phil,
  Yes sometimes anyone can make a tool that will work. I do not know =
what  Bill Spurlock's outlook on tool making is , but myself I try to =
target the market that would like a tool made for them as time is money. =
Tool makers are selling the time that it takes to design the tool, =
redesign the tool because the design did not work or to make it work =
better, gather all the parts, make the tool, ship it , attend =
conventions to promote and show, etc etc.
  Not trying to say that we should not make our own tools when we can, =
for that is where a lot of us started, but reminding it is an expensive =
undertaking to develop tools, especially those the quality of the =
Spurlock, Mannino, Franklin, Mahaffy, Renner, etc, etc, etc

  Joe Goss
  imatunr@srvinet.com
  www.mothergoosetools.com
    ----- Original Message -----=20