Wissner Grand

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 19:55:22 -0500

Anyone ever heard of a Wissner piano? Factory was in the Bronx (I think). I serviced a 9-foot Wissner grand yesterday. 1939. Appears to be a Steinway D clone? Anyone have an opinion on that? I has a WN&G action. It looks to be a fairly substantial piano. Anyone have experience with the Wissner or perhaps other similar D clones?

Pastor says it was "completely rebuilt - he had the whole thing apart!" six years ago - new hammers and backchecks (supply-house hammer, no tapering, no radius shaping of the tail - not even put on terribly straight) - not even new felt under the keys. Soundboard has 87,000 cracks. ZERO downbearing on most of the long bridge, and soundboard flat as a pancake. Oh, did I say it is pretty quiet on the lower half of the keys, and just about quiet as a mouse from the middle on up - piano is pretty much dead.

Now how do you tell a church pastor client type that his "completely rebuilt" piano needs to be rebuilt - if he wants it to sound like a piano? He mentioned that a local "top technician" had done the work and that the church paid "quite a bit" for the work.

Thanks

Terry Farrell