Generic EBVT Tuning Chart

SidewaysWell1713@aol.com SidewaysWell1713@aol.com
Sun, 29 Dec 2002 14:00:46 EST

List,

Recently, I tuned a brand new Kawai SK-5 Grand.  In my opinion, it is an
example of the best there is in piano craftsmanship today.  I was paid well
enough for my tuning to create a brand new program for it.  Recent
contributions from other Pianotech participants have helped me refine what I
have done with the EBVT for the last 10 years.  Also, I very carefully worked
out the octaves the way I have done now for 20 years.

>From the chart below, you'll see that the pattern for octaves is irregular
and seemingly a little irrational but then again, so is a piano's
inharmonicity and that is the real challenge in tuning.  It will not at all
match the smooth curve calculation  which typical ETD programs provide.

I've heard many people say that they believe a tuning should be recalculated
each time a piano is tuned.  Yet, I have used programs I have generated on
other pianos successfully for over 10 years now, including demonstrations of
the EBVT at the 1998 Convention and at a Chicago Chapter meeting in 1999.  I
use my generic program, then if I feel it necessary, tweak it by ear.  The
wound string portion and the 7th octave are always the parts most subject to
needing adjustment.

Having said that, anyone my use this program to get a good, representative
example of the way I not only tune the EBVT but how I handle the octaves.
The fact that all figures are either whole or half cents makes it easier to
make slight, judiciously prudent adjustments.  When finished, play sustained
major chords from F4 through F6.  You'll see that although you can still hear
the distinction between keys, you get a very smooth and sweet sound, no undue
harshness, no "wobbling" 5ths, just good, clean harmony.  I dare say you'll
get better results just using this generic program than you would using the
recently calculated "correction figures" with whatever octave calculation you
ETD program provides.

Happy New Year!

Tuning Record:  December, 2002

Piano Type:  Kawai SK-5

Name of Temperament:  Equal Beating Victorian Temperament (EBVT)
                                           with Tempered Octaves

A0   read on  E3:               -8.0
A#0  read on  F3:              -9.0
B0  read on  F#3:               -8.0

C1  read on  G3:                -12.0
C#1 read on  G#3:             -5.0
D1  read on  A3:                -4.0
D#1  read on  A#3:             -1.0
E1  read on  B3:                 -4.0
F1  read on  C4:                 -1.0
F#1  read on  C#4:             -3.0
G1  read on  D4:                -2.0
G#1  read on  D#4:            -1.0
A1  read on  E4:                -2.0
A#1  read on  F4:              -1.0
B1  read on  F#4:               -2.0

C2  read on  G4:                   1.0
C#2  read on  G#4:              -1.0
D2  read on  A4:                 -2.0
D#2  read on  A#4:              0.0
E2  read on  B4:                 -2.0
F2  read on  C5:                  2.0
F#2  read on C#5:              -1.0
G2  read on  D5:                 2.0
G#2  read on  D#5:             2.0
A2  read on  E5:                -1.0
A#2  read on   F5:              3.0
B2  read on F#5:               -1.0

NOTE: VERY IMPORTANT CHANGE OF PARTIAL SETTING.  IF USING A SANDERSON
ACCU-TUNER (SAT), YOU MUST MANUALLY RESET THE PARTIAL SELECTION AT THIS POINT
FROM G5 TO C5.  FAILURE TO DO SO WILL PRODUCE COMPLETELY INCORRECT RESULTS.

C3  read on  C5:                 1.0
C#3  read on  C#5:             -2.0
D3  read on  D5:                -0.5
D#3  read on  D#5:              0.0
E3  read on  E5:                 -2.0
F3  read on  F5:                  1.0
F#3  read on  F#5:              -3.0
G3  read on  G5:                 2.0
G#3  read on  G#5:             1.0
A3  read on  A5:                 0.0
A#3  read on  A#5:             2.0
B3  read on  B5:                 1.0

NOTE: VERY IMPORTANT CHANGE OF PARTIAL SETTING.  IF USING A SANDERSON
ACCU-TUNER (SAT), YOU MUST MANUALLY RESET THE PARTIAL SELECTION AT THIS POINT
FROM C6 TO C5.  FAILURE TO DO SO WILL PRODUCE COMPLETELY INCORRECT RESULTS.

C4  read on  C5:               2.0
C#4  read on  C#5:           1.5
D4  read on  D5:              -0.5
D#4  read on  D#5:           0.5
E4  read on  E5:              -2.0
F4  read on  F5:                1.0
F#4  read on  F#5:           -2.0
G4  read on  G5:               3.0
G#4  read on  G#5:           1.5
A4  read on  A5:               1.5
A#4  read on  A#5:           2.5
B4  read on  B5:               2.0

NOTE: VERY IMPORTANT CHANGE OF PARTIAL SETTING.  IF USING A SANDERSON
ACCU-TUNER (SAT), YOU MUST MANUALLY RESET THE PARTIAL SELECTION AT THIS POINT
FROM C6 TO C5.  FAILURE TO DO SO WILL PRODUCE COMPLETELY INCORRECT RESULTS.

C5  read on C5:                   3.0
C#5  read on C#5:               2.0
D5  read on D5:                  2.0
D#5  read on D#5:               1.0
E5  read on  E5:                  1.0
F5  read on  F5:                   2.0
F#5  read on  F#5:               1.0
G5  read on  G5:                 4.0
G#5  read on  G#5:             4.0
A5  read on  A5:                 3.0
A#5  read on  A#5:             4.0
B5  read on B5:                  2.0

NOTE:  THE REMAINING NOTES ARE READ ON THEIR FUNDAMENTAL.  NO CHANGE TO THE
SAT IS NECESSARY.

C6  read on  C6:                 6.0
C#6  read on  C#6:             5.0
D6  read on  D6:                6.0