Aural versus ETD tuning training

SidewaysWell1713@aol.com SidewaysWell1713@aol.com
Sun, 29 Dec 2002 12:20:32 EST

In a message dated 12/29/02 8:21:44 AM Central Standard Time,
Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no writes:

I>  suppose the perfect tuning will
> last long enough for a concert, a recording session, to give a customer
> those few extra hours of refinement. Cost effective has to be in the
> picture to be sure... but we want to be careful of finding reasons to
> not do the best we can... in all circumstances.

[Compared to a recent statement...]

<<"the improvement I can make by ear to most of my machine tunings is not
noticeable to anyone else, so what, me worry?"  [Does he *still* read MAD
Magazine???]  If I am the only person that can tell the difference, what I am
spending time on it for,  my own entertainment? I can't afford that.  A good
tuning is one with little wasted time in it. I recognize a tolerance, and
when within it,
it is a moot activity to go further.  I can't afford much more moot! >>

[then]

> Ric Moody Wrote
>
> (Snip)
> >     I would love to bring this piano to a "National" and have any
> > person tune it by whatever---machine or aural method.   Then
> > critique it the next day  by  any tuner and expect to hear,  "This
> > is what you call a professional tuning?"

Well, that's exactly what I did at the "National" in 1998 with Wally Brooks
breathing down my neck, telling me I looked like a *beginner*, trying to
*learn* how to tune a piano.  Tuned it the night before, rolled it into the
classroom the next morning and "BEAT" Virgil Smith.  }:P (He got to tune his
*in* the classroom that morning).  }:P  }:P

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin