maddening dampers to mute strips

Keith Roberts kpiano@goldrush.com
Thu, 22 Nov 2001 09:53:02 -0800

Good points. Slop in the guide bushing allowing the damper to "float". The
same pressure reduced to a smaller area and placed more effectively. This
relates to the muting process while tuning. A lot of bleed through can
really be confusing to a new tuner. Thicker strips distort the string
changing bridge tension and the way the hammer hits the string you are
trying to tune. Also, it can cause maddening damper damage. (shudder). What
would be the ideal mute strip? Is a thick strip woven close to the capo bar
effective  enough or should I stay close to hammer line with a strip that
causes minimal sideways deflection? Is there a ratio for placement based on
the distance from strike point to capo bar? On a grand, from strike point to
bridge? Keith