Charging overtime

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 17 Nov 2001 07:45:27 -0500

I don't mean to open a can of dead worms, but could you expound a little =
on your system of calling people for tunings. This sounds like such an =
intrusion to me - that is why I don't do it. But if folks actually tell =
you they like it, well, I guess they must like it! And it sure seems to =
work for you!

Could you give an example script of what you would say to Mrs. =
Typicalpianoclient at the first (or whenever) appointment? Then what do =
you say when you call. Maybe I'm overly concerned about intruding on =
their lives. I HATE telemarketers. And I know you are not in that role =
at all, because they have requested the call. But somehow I still kinda =
feel that way. Please tell me what conversations you go through to set =
this up.

Thanks big time.

Oh, and speaking of worm..........I gotta wake my son up, put the canoe =
on top of the car, buy a dozen worms.....because we have a date with =
momma and daddy bass, crappie, and bluegill!!! (I'll let you know if we =
have a super-yummy dinner, or if it's Ragu!)

Terry Farrell =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Clyde Hollinger=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, November 16, 2001 10:16 PM
  Subject: Re: Charging overtime

  Terry,=20
  We discussed this here some time ago, and yes, some urged me to raise =
my fees.  Someone even suggested doubling them.=20

  I do raise my fees each year, and I am competitive with others techs =
in the area.  In my opinion the reason I have plenty of work is that I =
have good people skills, I do good (though probably not top level) work, =
I can be trusted, and I can be depended on to call my clients when the =
next tuning is due, an item for which I get more positive feedback than =
anything else.=20

  I cannot see myself charging more than the competition because I do =
not think my technical skills are significantly better.  Due to reading =
the Journal, attending two conventions each year, and this list, I know =
a lot more than I apply.  Thanks for your interest.=20

  Regards,=20
  Clyde=20

  Farrell wrote:=20

    I'm just curious Clyde. If you are booked up until March and still =
have folks calling wanting to get squeezed in, is it time to raise your =
standard tuning service call fee??? I should think these are conditions =
where that question becomes quite germane.