Getting paid...

DGPEAKE@AOL.COM DGPEAKE@AOL.COM
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 01:08:04 EDT

In a message dated 6/28/01 4:24:49 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
fish@communique.net writes:

> Brian,
>
> Tell them that if you don't hear from them immediately, you will put it
> in the hands of your lawyer.  Do you have a friend in the area who can
> go by there to see if they are still there and bug them a little. As far
> as leaving the thing there, a good practice is to mention when you make
> the delivery appointment that you expect to collect on delivery.  Then
> ask to see the check when you get there.  If not leave it on the truck,
> drop it off in storage, and mail them the storage receipt when you get
> your payment plus the storage charges.  Isn't hindsight marvelous?:-)
>
> Warren

I realize that Brian situation is a little extreme because he moved the organ
quite a distance. One thing I do is invite my customer to come to my shop and
inspect the work, play the piano, make sure the job is done to their complete
satisfaction. Prior to the appointment, they are aware they signed a contract
stating that the piano will not be delivered until the total job is paid for.

I also state on the contract that the piano will not come to my shop without
a deposit (1/3, 1/2 etc.).  Pianos are not stored in my shop for free.

I have learned all of these lessons the hard way.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland Chapter
Oregon City, OR
www.davespianoworks.com