Aligning beckets

David Love davidlovepianos@hotmail.com
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 00:09:17 -0000

Phil:

The method I use is to first pull the entire length of wire you need and cut
it off.  (As the lengths get longer in the tenor, lay a tape along the
stretcher and note on the plate with pieces of tape the speaking lengths
every 10 notes or so.  That way you can easily measure how much total wire
you will need).  Put a bend at the halfway point using a pair of roundnose
pliers.  Put the bend around the hitch pin and secure it with a small spring
clamp or visegrips.  Pull the ends through the agraffes or capo bar, and
secure on the bridge pins.  Have a piece of 1/8 - 3/16" d. plastic tubing,
one cut to three inches (for three coils) and one four inches (for four
coils seen sometimes in the top treble).  Slip the tubing over the cut end
and slide it down to the plate hole.  (Hint: if the wire tends to grab the
tubing when you are trying to slide it through, roll the tubing back and
forth between your thumb and index finger as you move it down over the
wire.)  With your right hand (if you are right handed), grip the end of the
wire lightly with a pair of wire cutters and pull it taught.  With your left
hand measure with the tubing from some consistent point (center of the hole
in the plate e.g).  Squeeze the tubing or flex it slightly so the wire
doesn't slip through.  Cut off the wire at the end of the tubing.  Repeat
for the other length.  When you have coiled and driven the pins.  Pull them
up alternately so that you keep the beckets in similar positions.  Works for
me.

David Love