Aligning beckets

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Thu, 28 Jun 2001 18:40:31 -0500

Phil,

There are some jigs I've heard of, but they seem to be more trouble than
they are worth.  The manufacturers can do such a pretty job of it
because all their wire is precut to the correct length.  Most of the
rest of us do it by guess, golly and a lot of regular experience.

I remember one guy that had a thick piece of wire attached to his
Starret cutters which extended along side the wire as he pulled it into
cut.  He would touch the tuning pin with the wire taught and could cut a
uniform length of wire for each pin.  He said he would touch the back of
the pin for thick wire and move toward the front of the pin for thin.

For wire that goes around a hitch pin, tighten the pin strung first a
quarter turn, then do the same for the second. Pluck for pitch. Tighten
the pin with the highest pitch an eighth of a turn then put it back
where it was. Pluck for pitch again.  They should be close in pitch
because you pulled wire around the hitch pin to balance the pitch.
Tighten alternately until you get to where you are going.

Warren

--
Warren Fisher RPT
fish@Communique.net