Umbrella Stave Tool

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 08:25:56 -0400

I finally got around to working on a 30 y/o Wurlitzer console which I took
in on trade 6 months ago.
I put it off for as long as I could :-)

There was creaking emanating from the damper and hammer springs.

I've used a sharp pencil before but I didn't have one long enough for this job.
I started with a wire dipped into DAG and swabbed the punching, it worked
fairly well.

Then I got the idea to use an umbrella stave to administer the DAG to the
spring punchings.
This worked really well. I closed the tip to fit into the punching better
and it acted like a quill pen
for delivering the material to the area. Dipping each time into the DAG for
each punching.

There were still a few noisy ones after applying DAG to both sets, so I
went over them again dry
at more of an angle. This time I could feel the surface crust on the punchings.
After this second pass all is quiet.

Had I applied the DAG with the tool at a more of an angle thereby raking
the punching surface
I might have avoided the second pass although I think it is still a good
idea to somewhat burnish
the surface following application.

Today started out well, let's hope it gets better...
Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@mediaone.net
http://www.stanwoodpiano.com