Fw: Soundboard Evaluation

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 08:43:02 -0400

Here is my completed post from the other day:

 Well Ron, I gotta hand it to you. You hit this one right on target. You
said:

> > > How does
> > > one tell the difference between zero and negative bearing with a
rocker
> > > gage?

I thought you would be able to see negative bearing with the rocker gauge.
Well, I finally got my Lowell Component Gauge working again and rechecked
downbearing on that piano. Pretty big reverse bearing. The reason I did not
send the post right away was that I was looking for my Lowell instructions
regarding exactly what the little lines on the bubble gauge mean. Anyway, I
leveled the bubble on the forward string section, and then observed the
bubble on the backscale. It went up to three lines the wrong way.

So I guess that explains why I observed such nice (up to) 1/8" crown
centered so nicely on the long bridge. Wonder how that board would look with
the strings gone? Maybe it could be used for mixing big party salads!

I can hardly wait to get the action functional in the piano so that I can
play it (er, a.....have my wife play it) and compare it to a decent piano.
I'm looking forward to this being a good education for me because I have not
had the opportunity to carefully listen to and evaluate a piano that I know
SHOULD sound like garbage and directly compare it to one that SHOULD sound
decent (my Boston grand).

I'll be using my component gauge more often in the future. Thanks.

Terry Farrell