Water damage/Insurance claims

Dave Doremus algiers_piano@bellsouth.net
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 07:07:45 -0500

Brian, Willem is absolutly right. You need to approach that piano as
a total loss. What will probably happen is that the owners insurance
will not be enough, when added up and deductibles accounted for, to
cover all the repairs they have to make to the house. They will
probably settle for a lump sum and keep the old one rather than buy a
new one, much like I kept my car after the last hail storm. You will
then have to deal with rust, soundboard and bridge seperations and
bottom board problems. I have one Yamaha from River Ridge that got
15" of water in it in 95, I treated the strings with CRC, pulled the
bass bridge pins and epoxied the holes, reglued the bass bridge to
the apron which held on just fine and that was it. It's holding up
well. Of course the owners have been warned that it may show more,
serious problems at any time. The #1 problem I've seen right away
after flooding, besides mildew, is that a lot of the bottom boards
just fall apart. That doesnt kill a piano structurally but it makes
it awful hard to use the pedals....
--
Dave

Dave Doremus RPT