new piano

Brian Trout grandrestorations@yahoo.com
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 06:17:06 -0700 (PDT)

Interesting thread, indeed.

I did notice Roger mentioning Dampp Chaser systems,
climate control, etc.

I would whole heartedly agree that several tunings
would be required during the first year.  But the
environmental factor really can't be overlooked.

For a number of years, I serviced a mid-sized Kawai
grand in a church.  Sometimes I would go out and tune
it and it would hold like a rock.  Other times I would
tune and there would scarcely be a week went by until
there were notes noticably out of tune.

This was quite frustrating to me and at times made me
wonder if there were some major defect in my tuning
abilities.

I managed to talk them into getting a full
Dampp-Chaser system about a year ago.  It was the best
thing that ever happened to that piano.  So long as it
was kept after, (and I know they were even adding
water regularly in the summer months... when it calls
for it, it gets it), that piano held it's tune, almost
too well.  I would go back in 3 months for their
scheduled tuning and could hardly find unisons to
touch up.  And in another three months, the same
thing, so long as it was looked after.

Yes, in the beginning, when a piano is new, the
strings are still stretching and settling in.  There's
no shame in that.  But environmental conditions can be
the death knoll or the savior of your tuning efforts.

Thanks for mentioning it, Roger.  Had I not
experienced it for myself, I wouldn't be such a
believer.  I've heard stories, but nothing compares to
personal experience.

Best wishes,

Brian

=====